1 red cabbage
2 cooking apples
3 medium onions, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
Freshly grated nutmeg
3 tablespoons caster sugar
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 150 deg C and find a heavy casserole dish with a lid (a Le Creuset casserole dish is ideal).
- Cut the red cabbage into quarters, cut out the white stem at the bottom, then slice thinly.
- Peel and core the apples, then cut into small chunks.
- Put one-third of the red cabbage in a layer in the casserole, followed by one-third of the apples and onions. Sprinkle over one-third of the crushed garlic, one tablespoon of sugar, one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, then a light sprinkling of nutmeg, ground cloves, ground cinnamon and a quick twist of salt and pepper.
- Repeat step 4 twice more – you should’ve used up all the ingredients apart from the butter.
- Dot the butter across the surface of the vegetables
- Put the lid on the casserole and put it in the oven for 2.5 hours, stirring halfway through.